Family Accuses DSS Of Defying Court Orders In El-Rufai Case

Spread the love

The Department of State Services has taken former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai into custody, according to his family, shortly after a court session in Abuja.

 

Relatives said the move followed proceedings at the Federal High Court, where Justice Joyce AbdulMalik granted him bail. They argued that transferring him to the DSS facility breached existing court orders directing that he remain in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

 

Speaking outside the DSS facility, his wife Hasiat said the family was living “in constant fear”, alleging repeated threats and surveillance. “Every day we get a threat — DSS is coming to raid your house… you are being followed. Our phones are tapped,” she said.

 

She said her husband resisted the move, insisting that two subsisting court orders required he be held by the anti-corruption agency. “He said, I am not a furniture to be moved,” she told journalists, adding that he refused to leave the vehicle unless forced.

 

The family also alleged he had been denied access to his personal doctors despite a court order, raising concerns about his health after more than 90 days in custody. His son, lawmaker Bello el-Rufai, described the case as politically motivated and criticised what he called “impossible” bail conditions.

 

However, security sources said that following consultations among lawyers, the former governor was later returned to ICPC custody on Monday evening, as calls mounted from supporters and political figures for his release.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

×